Sunday, August 1, 2010

Wrap up of Cupcake Camp OC

We've moved to - you'll be redirected to this post in a moment.

Cupcakes and more cupcakes!
Kristin and my mom, Marilyn putting some finishing touches together before the doors open
Meringue Bake Shop's A Kid Again ~ cookie dough filled and topped with peanut butter buttercream
Meringue Bake Shop's Orange Crush ~ Orange Crush cake with creamsicle buttercream *winner Best OC themed*

I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon then with new friends and cupcakes. I had been looking forward to the Cupcake Camp OC event (see my previous post about the event here). But I was even more excited to learn that I would get to help out Kristin from Meringue Bake Shop. She found out late in the game that she would need to fill up a whole table and asked if I might have any items to help. Yeah!!! I love to help, so I packed up some stuff, my mom (who is an excellent helper and curious about these cupcake events that I go to) and hurried down to the Atrium Hotel. Turns out, Kristin didn't really need my help. Her cupcakes really are the star of the show. Not only are her flavors inventive and flavorful, they LOOK amazing. Along with the two flavors pictured above she had a Red Velvet and also a strawberry balsamic number topped with a bruleed strawberry (sorry, that description doesn't do it justice!). But I was really glad to finally get a chance to get to know her a little better. Once she was all set up, I walked around the rest of the event. There were tons of people there (word on the street is that 1 1/2 hours in to the show there were 800 people). There were about 15 professional bakeries displaying cupcakes and it was fairly easy to move around the room and see them all. Emphasis on the decor was minimal and focus seemed to be on the cupcakes. Some looked better then others but they were all there for a good cause. The water set up was pretty dismal but after an initial drought, the hotel made an effort to keep up with the demand. I think it was a great turnout and hopefully, it raised a lot of money to end human trafficking. Here are some more of my highlights:

Mmmmm, a breakfast themed cupcake will get me every time

My Delight Cupcakery out of Ontario hit a home run with their Breakfast Cake.

Sugar Tart Desserterie came with an intriguing combo of chicken and waffle cupcake. It had chunks of chicken in the cupcake and was quite tasty once you got past the fact that there was chicken in your cupcake. :)

Gotta Have S'more brought about 10 different flavors of s'more/muffin/cupcake type treats. So tasty. I has the chocolate caramel and I really could have eaten a lot more of these. The graham cracker crust was so buttery and awesome. The company hails from Culver City so I'm not sure if I will get to have these very much but if you are in their area, check them out!!!

Two Parts Sugar never disappoints. I enjoyed Monica's Cherry Chip cupcake immensely. More then the cupcakes though, she took it upon herself to raise even more money for El Pozo by holding her own raffles. I was really encouraged by her giving spirit and loved that her family was there to support her.

Check out the Cupcake Camp OC website to see the rest of the winners and here what they have to say about how the event went. I may have brought home a cupcake or two. I'm going to go eat them now. :)

All photos are mine. Some with a camera phone... :}

1 comment:

Cupcake Activist said...

It was great getting to meet you. The event was crazy, but a lot of fun! Kristin's cupcakes were delicious too.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...