Monday, February 28, 2011

The cutest ruffled streamers from plastic tablecloths!

We've moved to www.cupcakesandcutlery.com - you'll be redirected to this post in a moment.



How cute are these!  I'm not even sure how this idea came to me (and it has probably already come to someone else out there too...) but I started thinking about how sometimes when you stretch plastic it warps it and creates a sort of lettuce edge.  I gave it a try and they turned out super cute.  So with just using a cheap plastic tablecloth you can create bunches of darling ruffled streamers.


This streamer above was the white version I tried a few weeks ago.  Now, these plastic streamers might not work for someone who is a total perfectionist and needs everything to look super finished and polished.  For me, however, these are perfect!  My first intro to ruffled garlands was from the radically talented Jenny of Hank and Hunt.  Hers are made from fabric and are gorgeous but since my sewing skills are elementary at best, there was is chance that I could recreate those.  If by chance you are a sewing maven, go check out her tutorial here.  When I read it I thought for a very brief second that I might be able to, in fact, give them a shot.  But alas, no way.


I have a bunch of plastic tablecloths on hand so I'm not sure of the exact cost but I would have to say each would be between $1 and $2.  And because I get bored very easily when putting together a tutorial, I didn't cut the whole cloth to see how many garlands you could get out of it.  Here is my estimate:  a bunch, ok I'd guess about 15 depending on the width you cut.  I'd also like to point out the wrinkles in my cute fabric tablecloth.  Ain't no chance I'm going to be ironing things before I do a tutorial.  Given that most of them take place during a nap time, and I'm lazy, chances are good that you will be seeing wrinkles in most of my instructions.


Do not unfold the tablecloth once you take it out of the package.  You will want to find the side with the end of the tablecloth, not the fold, so when you cut you will get a strip.  And thanks to that last sentence I could quite possibly be the worlds worst tutorialist.  Cut as many strips as you want.


If only I had a third hand this portion of the tutorial would be more informative.  Basically you will want to the plastic in one hand between your thumb and pointer finger and hold the plastic the same way in the other hand right next to the first hand.  And pull your thumbs away from each other.  Give it a test so you can figure out how much and how far you should stretch it.  The good thing about these is that they are never going to come out exactly the same as the last stretch so variety is fine.  Also, you will tear the plastic once in a while.  As long as you haven't torn it clear through to the other side, it is also fine. The tear sort of ruffles as well and blends in.  I wouldn't point the tears out to my party guests but I would totally use the garland.


Stretch down one length of the plastic strip and then flip the strip over and do the other side.


I did this when my husband was out of the house.  When he got home he thought they were really cool but swears it must be too time consuming.  Uh, hullo!  I did it!  It's totally not time consuming.  And this is one of those party projects you could easily do while watching tv.  I even tried putting two strips of the plastic on top of each other to stretch two at once.  It worked great!


I'm not sure if you all have heard but California had some "weather" this weekend.  It was freezing outside the day I did this (you guys, it was like 54).  So I literally stapled these babies up, took as many pictures as I could and ran back inside.  I could have hung them up cuter but quite frankly my fingers were beginning to get frost bite (yes, I'm a baby).  But here is the amazing thing.  They are still up in my backyard as we speak.  They have been outside through rain, hail, wind and sun.  They look exactly the same as when I first put them up.  These would be so great for anywhere that is windy or has lots of moisture in the air.


They are also SUPER lightweight.  Although I used my staple gun I am pretty sure that depending on what type of surface you are trying to attach to, most kinds of tape should be able to hold them.


I think what I like most about the idea of using a plastic tablecloth to make really cheap, really cute ruffles is that you can make a ton for next to nothing.  I can see using a ton of them, all different colors for a crazy photobooth back drop.  Which would cost you around $5.  While it does take some of your time to make them, you could make a huge impact with these around your party.


I also wondered if you could do it around the edge of the tablecloth to get a super girly ruffly look.  You totally can!  Don't judge my composition.  I was working against the clock here people.


Wait, what's that you say, Sharon.  It was freezing outside the day you did this tutorial?  Oh and there is your son barefoot out on the freezing concrete with no jacket.  And to you I say, yes.  You are right.  I think this shall secure the sarcastic mother of the year award for me.  But I just needed one quick picture of this last garland.  This is made from a black utility trash bag.  I just needed to see if it would work.  It did. 

Tip Junkie handmade projects

Sharon

42 comments:

lyndsey @ the stationery place said...

those are sooo cute! i love that they are easy and quick -- two of my favorite things, since i do all my projects during naptime too :) will def have to remember these for my next party.

and as a native southern californian, i have to laugh at your aversion to cold...54 DOES sound pretty cold to me, but i'm currently living in utah and freezing my butt off in 30 degree weather so i really miss being a weather snob :)

katie@tulsadetails said...

So clever!!! Such a great idea. I love the feminine touch it adds!

Pink Peppermint Paper said...

Ummm, those are so awesome I don't know what to say.

Eleanor

barefootin' in SC said...

what an awesome idea..thanks for sharing i will share it to!

Brittany @GreyGreyDesigns said...

SO CLEVER!

Kristin said...

Genius!!! And the tablecloth idea!! omg.

Cheryl E. said...

Oh my goodness I love this! Very pretty!

I am so glad I came across your blog! I am loving it.

You have a new follower :)

lauren said...

You are my hero

Jenny @ Hank + Hunt said...

THIS IS FABULOUS!!! I saw it and I love it! You rock!

minnesotamom said...

I love this!!!

Lauren Elise said...

This is such an awesome idea! Easy but super cute and only up close would you even begin to guess that it's a plastic tablecloth. :)

Disney said...

Oh, how happy this makes me! I was just thinking the other day about making giant ruffle "streamers" out of these table cloths. This would be so much easier, though! Thanks so much for the idea! :o)

Laura *You Stir Me* said...

this is genius. I love that this is so easy to do and there are tons of plastic tablecloth options out there...so many possibilities!

Love your blog, by the way - so happy to have found it!

Two Sides of the Rainbow said...

I save a lot of my party table cloths...just i case. Now you've given me a great repurpose idea. Thank!

Kristin said...

This is so awesome. I can't wait for my daughter's baptism party in a few months - I'm totally going to try this!!

Rebecca said...

Adorable..... will definitely be doing at my next party. Love your nail polish, what shade is it?

Christine @ Pure Joy Events said...

Love this idea! So clever. Link it up to our Party Tutorial Contest (http://www.purejoyeventsblog.com/2011/03/party-tutorial-contest.html) for your chance to win some fabulous prizes!

Graceful Moments said...

Got here via UCreate. What a great idea and so easy! I really like the way you did the bottom of the tablecloth...adds a perfect touch of softness. Great job! Hope your warm weather is back.

Teri said...

These are so cool...think I will have to make some for the little girl's party in may. I also like the way you ruffled the actual table clothe

rena said...

Καταπληκτικό,είσαι εφευρετικό μυαλό,Συγχαρητήρια!!!!

Gypsy Thread said...

Really fun idea. I'm not a big fan of the regular ol' crepe paper streamers, but has a friend who uses them for everything. Perhaps I can convert her with this tutorial!
And I agree... so cute and girly!

My Vintage Mending said...

brilliant. what a happy accident. Renee

Auntie Cake said...

Thanks for sharing! It will work great for a gradutaion party I am planning!
Kate

Deb Plapp said...

What a cool idea! Who'd a thunk it?

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Out of the simplest things comes pure genius! I would never have guessed what these were made of and I thought it would be super complicated. Not so much! That's the genius part! I love this idea. Thank you from the bottom of my ruffled heart.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Out of the simplest things comes pure genius! I would never have guessed what these were made of and I thought it would be super complicated. Not so much! That's the genius part! I love this idea. Thank you from the bottom of my ruffled heart.

melifaif said...

Those are so pretty...I am simply amazed. Oh, and yeah - "These would be so great for anywhere that is windy or has lots of moisture in the air." aka they would be perfect in my lovely HOUSTON!!!!! Thanks for this...my Under the Sea Party just got a whole lot more fabulous.

katie jean said...

Adorable and thrifty!! This is genius and I love it :) I am definately using this idea in the future! Thanks so much for a fun, new tutorial :)

Free Pretty Things For You said...

it was such a pleasure to feature this!! I LOVE IT!!!

Marilou of Lulu's Lovlies and Heartful Creations said...

What a cute idea, especially for kids parties when you are trying to cut cost! By the way what happened to our Sunny CA. I can't believe this is our state! Happy Easter Marilou

alanna. said...

What an incredible idea!! Thanks for sharing! :)

xo alanna
iheartlaughing.blogspot.com

Lori said...

Asa 100% ruffle Queen, this made my day (trust me I needed it!) Lori

Raynata said...

Very creative! Much prettier than plain streamers! And plastic tablecloths are so cheap!

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Okay, I LOVE this and can't wait to try it!! It is a great tutorial, despite what you might think. Just found your blog & love it & your fun writing style!

Deb Plapp said...

I also think the streamers are great. Thanks for your nice comment about my blog. Deb

Yummy Mommy Mia said...

Thanks for the idea! So going to use this for my next party ---they also look great as ribbons and made into bows too: http://logansbabyblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/girly-bow-and-dance-party.html

tickledpinkwithrosesandpearls.com said...

ADORABLENESS!!!!
I need to run not walk out to get plastic tablecloths now! No, I'm not having a party, I just HAVE to try this!
Thanks!

meganm said...

I have been making these for my son's 1st bday party and for a bridal shower that I am hosting. After a few trial and errors and I found that if you just unfold the table cloth twice and then do your stretching/pulling of the table cloth to make the ruffles you will be less likely to rip the plastic. It also just seems to look better, but that maybe be just my opinion. It take a LOT LESS time this way too so it is at least worth a try! LOVE them!

Cupcakes and Cutlery said...

Thanks MeganM! I have to be honest. I'm a very lazy crafter and only tried this once before I did the tutorial, never expecting people to be SO in to them. :) I need to update the post as, I too, found it better to double up the tablecloth. Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see pictures...
Sharon

Leslie said...

This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing! I just ruffled a pink cloth for my daughter's 3rd birthday party. I've got a darker pink cloth that I'm going to (somehow) turn into a runner/overlay. This is such a great idea!

Condo Blues said...

I think you get mother of the year because your son is wearing a Ramones t-shirt! I named my dog Blitzkrieg after Blitzkrieg Bop :)

Tricia said...

Wow!!! We are planning on making giant pumpkins for our school hallway, and these would be PERFECT for the pumpkin vines!! Thank you for sharing your idea!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...